A personal Learning Network Assignment


Into the TWITTERVERSE...



photo credit: buzzfeed.com

...Or Down the Rabbit Hole in 240 Characters or Less



For the last several weeks, I have been tracking my professional Twitter use. Although I am relatively new to Twitter (I swore to stop at FaceBook), it is plain to see the amazing amount of potential it has as an educational tool.


So how do you establish a presence in the Educational Twitter-verse?
Well, after creating an account you simply need to start amassing a list of educational sites to follow. Links to many of these are quite easilv found. Once you start following educational sites, you will receive recommendations for many more related sites.


Below is a collage of the wide variety of people, places and things that I currently follow:  

All Photo Credits: TWITTER.com


Using Twitter to find "teacher stuff"


The types of materials one receives on these is nigh on unlimited. From book recommendations (I just bought Teach Like a Pirate after getting on a recommendation on the #Read4Fun Ed. Chat) to teaching tips...there is something for everyone.

Here is an example of A Cool Resource!!! (Click on the Pic) that I received via TWEET. 
Photo Credit: Twitter@darren_tuggle

Although this site is geared toward younger students, I felt that it was indicative of the great resources that are available at the other end of a TWEET!


Talk amongst yourselves...Ed. Chat as a way of learning



Another cool way to make the most of you educator TWITTER account is participate in Ed. Chats. Ed. Chats are prescheduled group discussions where interested individuals agree to meet at a set time to discuss a specific topic in education.


I really enjoyed joining the #Read4Fun teacher discussion where we talked about our summer professional development list. At the slides show, I used TWEETDECK to keep myself organized during the discussion.


One tip I learned was to warn followers that you are participating in this type of event so they know why they might “blow up”.


Photo Credit: Twitter@darren_tuggle


The facilitator usually poses a question to get the discussion going. Because this is a reading/ literacy discussion, the first question was rather obvious.


Photo Credit: Twitter@darren_tuggle


The only real requirement is that you participate...responding to the prompts as well as other participants’ comments.
Photo Credit: Twitter@darren_tuggle


It also feels great when others respond back to you!
Photo Credit: Twitter@darren_tuggle


I was amazed at the collegial environment. Everyone went out of the way to make others feel welcome. I have gone back since to participate in the discussions.
Photo Credit: Twitter@darren_tuggle


Beating a hasty retweet...reflections

I was pleasantly surprised at just how useful Twitter can be as an educational tool. Sadly, the reality of CPS is that we are not allowed to used Twitter with our students. Because of this, I feel like we are wasting what could be a great educational tool. I certainly understand the need to keep our students safe from the abhorrent behavior of sexual predators, but still I wonder at the cost.

Still, Twitter's potential as a vehicle for conversations about teaching and learning seem almost limitless. 





Comments