Greetings Techies:

We all have strong opinions about the relationships that exist between education and technology. But where does one turn if they are looking for data beyond personal experience? This week I had the opportunity look at a few educational technology research reports.

The two on which I chose to focus were:

 
&
In the end I chose to focus most of my attention on the Common Sense Media research. I selected this because I have often come across articles from them or have seen them cited in others, so I felt that it would behoove me to familiarize myself with their work.


A Veritable Plethora of Data!


The Common Sense website features results of their wide range of research on all things kids and media. Below is a small sample of the various research topics they have explored:
Many of the reports contained made for fascinating reading. Not surprisingly, for the purposes of this blog, I chose to focus on the report entitled:


The Common Sense Census: Inside the 21st-Century Classroom”.



I found their report incredibly well laid out containing a full written report and a visual summary, much of which I include here.




The first statistic that stood out to me was the “Tools in the Classroom” results.  
I was in no way surprised that video and video streaming in “king”. What is more interesting is the breakdown of the 42% of the people who did not report that video was at the top of the list. Image above show that 54% of the non-video voters (or around 20% of all participants) worked with “Productivity and presentation tools” which seems to be great news given that these are real world skills that will serve our students well. What is somewhat troubling is the fact that 25% of the non video voters (10.5% percent of the whole) spent time classroom time on “Digital creation tools”. One of the topics I have read about over the course of my graduate studies is how we are training kids to remain users of technology rather than become makers of technology. This data certainly seems to reinforce that concern.

The following slide also revealed some interesting information about teachers perceptions about the efficacy of the Digital tools they utilize.



The first thing that stands out is the consistency of use of “core curricular programs”. With the exception of English (who follows closely at 87%) all of the core disciplines report using “core curricular programs” with a frequency of 93% of higher, while rating  the effectiveness of the programs between 24% (physical education) to 64%(Math). This seems to show that many educators are not convinced that the materials that are being utilized in schools is not particularly useful.


The top portion of the following slide may help to explain some of data above:
Less than half of the teachers polled feel that the professional development that they receive is “very” or “extremely” effective. This certainly could affect the teachers’ opinions about the efficiency of the technology being used.


The fact that over a third of the teachers polled never use district purchased technology seems to reveal something about teachers’ attitudes over “forced” technology integration. One wonders how willingly the 54% that did use the technology did so.


And then there is this...
sigh...I wish this surprised me...


I was also rather shocked with the data from the right side of this image:


The fact that only a third of teachers feel that students’ learning would be negatively affected by limited access to technology at home seems to indicate a myriad of wasted opportunities.  


Closing Arguments:
Both Project Tomorrow: Speak Up and the Common Sense Media research groups offer a great deal of valuable information that would be worthwhile for any educator to consider when making decisions about technology. This is especially true of “Project Tomorrow” as it focuses on students’ perceptions.


The reality of my own classroom are mostly in line with the findings of the Common Sense Media Census. Like many teachers, I often find myself in the “I’m willing, but I am not sure how to begin” camp. But, I will keep reading, watching videos, and attending (self-selected) professional development until I get there...Darren

Comments

  1. Hello Darren,

    I completely agree with your statement that it is not surprising that video and video streaming is “king”. However, I am glad you pointed that statistic out because something that stood out to me from Speak Up was that a majority of students say they use YouTube to supplement their learning and 1/3 of all students surveyed said they learned better from videos than from reading. So I guess "video is king" works with our students because they do enjoy it and report that they feel successful in learning with it!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darren,
    First of all very interesting statistics that you chose to present. The one that stood out to me was the data in the "Digital Tool Use Vs Effectiveness" I was shocked at how the frequency that educators were using Math resources yet at the percentage of effectiveness that they reported. For instance how is it that it states educators are using free math resources 88% yet report its effectiveness to be at 44%? At that point the educators are in need of serious re-evaluation of the programs they are using. They need to look into the effectiveness of other math programs and try implementing those in order to evaluate its effectiveness. I also shocked and upset that 43% of teachers consider the professional development that they receive to support their use of educational technology to be very effective. How is it that we spent thousands of dollars on PDs from many presenters yet the teachers are saying themselves that it is not effective because it must not resonate with what is going on in the classroom. What we need is teachers who happen who be knowledgeable on tech that are presenting to us at these PDs explaining to us how it worked for them and how we can replicate the success with our students. Overall, very interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the passion with which you make your case for teacher-led PD...Huzzah!!!

      Delete
  3. Hi Darren !
    I really enjoyed reading your post ! I have to say that after reading some of the statistics you reference in your post I thought about my own use of digital tools in the science classroom and found that I agreed with the stats. I think many Science teachers spend the better part of our planning looking for more updated stories /article and tools because the discipline itself is changing rapidly. It is very easy to find resources that are cheesy or skim the surface of the topic. Looking at the stat that 93% of science teachers use their core curriculum tool but only 36% think it effective suggests that sometimes we can not just replace hands on activities completely (as many curriculums hope to ) with digital simulators.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darren,

    I examined the same research report from Common Sense Media for my blog post and had a lot of the same reactions you did. The disparity between how often teachers are using tech tools and their low opinion of the tools’ effectiveness is very troubling. It made me start to think about why a teacher would continue to use a tool they felt was ineffective. I can’t say for sure, but my best guess would be use of the tool is mandated by the school district. I believe a big part of the problem is that oftentimes teachers are not included in technology decisions. This makes no sense to me, as it is the teachers who best know what the students need, and their opinion should carry a lot of weight. Too often, districts waste money and instructional time on tools that don’t meet students’ and teachers’ needs. This also connects with both the other statistic about teachers choosing to not use district-provided technology and teachers not feeling they’ve received an adequate amount of professional development related to tech tools. A lot of school districts really need to be wiser about their technology decisions, and hopefully in the future, we’ll see more positive survey results.

    Thanks for sharing!

    - Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. The willingness to continue to learn new things is what keeps us going in education! Thanks for including the images of the stats you reviewed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment