"Unbidden guests are often welcomest when they are gone." Visitors and Residents on the Internet: A tool for considering how and when you you use what you use...

Visitors and Residents





Photo Source:Personal   Created at: http://experimental.worldcat.org/vandrmapping/signIn

The Background

According to technology researcher, David White, "Visitors and Residents {seen in the chart above] is a simple way of describing the range of ways individuals can engage with the Web. It’s a continuum of ‘modes of engagement’ not two distinct categories." White's continuum is written in response to the Prensky’s (2001) assertion that one is only a digital native or digital immigrant...that we inhabit only two states. 


The Layout

As you can see, the chart consists of two perpendicular lines, the vertical representing the personal/ professional and the horizontal representing the visitor (or those where we drop in but leave no digital footprints) and the resident (those where one leaves their footprints. Application can be distributed (and moved around) based on the author's usage. 

My Reflections

The image above is an early attempt to map out many of many of the internet resources that I use on a weekly if not daily (or possibly hourly) basis. What really surprised me about this is the amazing amount of materials I left off of the list. Just looking at my phone screen alone, I realize that I could have includes a hundred more entries from games to editing apps. That number does not include all of the bookmarks that I have saved on my two primary browsers.

Another thing I found intriguing was considering the difference between apps I used primarily as a student (like now) and those I use as a teacher (also now...but not right now...unless you are learning from this post...it is too much!). So much of my life between these two roles intertwine, it often gets hard to tell one from the other. The good news: the things I learn as a student almost always find the way into my practice. That is the point, yes?


Thinking again about what did not make the cut, I left off phone-based video games. I know many people that spend the majority of their days switching between video games and social media (although, if you have the chat option turned on in your games, does that make the game social media? ...too much!) Another group that did not make the chart are the retailers. In truth, Amazon.com should have been front and center on my chart. Neither a day nor a dollar goes by (or is that buy?)...



Links to All of the Cool Stuff Above


Your Mission


I leave you with the following mission...
Go forth and chart your own visitors and residents charts. When you are done, decide what you would eliminate when our robot overlords swoop down and limit you to only the 5 that you could not live without. Arghhhh....too much!  - Darren

Comments

  1. Darren,

    I love your point about how your life as a teacher intertwines with your life as a student. Where it gets really interesting is when you are telling someone you have to go to 'school'...then you have to explain if it's 'work school' or 'learning school'!

    I definitely got overwhelmed with really how many things could have gone on my grid. I, too, considered shopping site like Amazon. I mean what about Grubhub, UberEats, Uber, Lyft, etc.!? This could go deep!!

    I have never played video games besides Nintendo 64 back in the day...but I have 4 brothers, so I know the craze of it all. I am glad you touched on that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious as to why you chose to leave off the "Amazon's" and "video games". While I certainly wouldn't have expected you to list hundreds I am curious as to why you featured the ones you did and left off the others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts