"Classrooms don't need tech geeks who can teach; we need teaching geeks who can use tech." David Guerin · Education Technology



Essential Questions


So how do we, as teachers, know if the tools we are using for instruction are the right tools for the job? In this sense, the mechanics have it easy. You cannot use a hammer to loosen a bolt. Oh, I suspect that some have tried, but that likely leads to bloodied knuckles and the unemployment line.



This is especially true when trying to make decisions about the types of technology tools to integrate into our classroom practice. Most of us believe that technology is important and has a place in the classroom, but we are unsure the "hows", "whens", and most importantly the "whys" of technology integration. 

There must be something more to this than an evaluator checking off a box that says, "Effectively uses technology in the classroom" or capturing evidence that says, "Students were playing with robots."

This week I had the opportunity to take a look as several examples of Frameworks for Evaluating Technology.  


cartoonstock.com
Among these were:

SAMR
TPACK
TIM
Triple E Framework
TIP Chart









Each of these frameworks had its strengths and weaknesses. In the end, I selected the SAMR Chart as the tool I would use to examine my own classroom practice. I like the usability and the fact that it broke the field into levels that seemed to synch well with Webb's Depth of Knowledge. This being said, I hope any readers would take some time took look through them all and make their own choice. I feel like each of them has a different thing to offer the user.

and this...is AWESOME!!!
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-MbpEE7mQumajRvUldCTjdJTU0/edit?pli=1




Setting the Context of the Technology Use

Because most of these frameworks listed above are designed to measure the technology use in a specific lesson or unit, I decided to look specifically at a recent formative assessment that my students took as a part of a synthesis writing unit. The formative assessment asked students to show their understanding of the elements of synthesis writing by making a Public Service Announcement (PSA) explaining HOW TO SURVIVE THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. They were asked to read through six "sources" (provided by the teachers) and pull out enough evidence to create a public service announcement to inform fellow students how to escape the zombie hordes.

The technologies used by the students were:

  • a software-based storyboarding template (students' choice)
  • digital cameras (or cell phones with cameras)
  • video editing software (imovie or student selected)
  • if students did not want to create a live-action PSA they could use animation software (I provided NAWMAL and istopmotion home. 

USING THE SAMR FRAMEWORK
Image the creation of Dr. Ruben Puentedura, Ph.D. http://www.hippasus.com/rrpweblog

So, I then used the SAMR framework to consider my use of technology on this particular formative assessment.

  • Because the paper was originally a pen and paper assessment and it was transformed to a student-created movie, I believe that it should be considered "Transformative,"putting it on the top half of the SAMR framework. 
  • The majority of my students had no idea that they could use their phones to edit film and create a polished final product, I feel safe in stating that they were asked to create, "new tasks [that were] previously inconceivable. 
In the end, I believe that I could use evidence and the SAMR scale to declare this particular assignment "redefinition." 

Final Thoughts


The SAMR framework was helpful in giving me a way of considering the "rigor" of the technology utilization for this particular project. Like most scales like this, I would caution evaluators from using a scale like this to "rate" a teacher's overall use of technology. I could envision using this tool during scope and sequence planning to get a sense of the depth and breadth of the technology integration for our course team. 













Comments

  1. Thank you for including your real-world example of a lesson you have already done with students. For me, the most powerful part of your reflection was at the end: we should always look at the rigor of our lessons (if they include technology or not) and the "level" of SAMR should never be used to evaluate. SAMR is a model in which teachers move in and out, depending on what they are working on. The Redefinition stage is especially tough to stay in, and isn't an area where one stays consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how much fun your class must be… I mean, a zombie apocalypse project sounds like too much fun!!!!

    Given that I did not “research” this specific model – I want to make sure that I fully understand how it works. In your lesson, the “enhancement steps” – substitution and augmentation – are really the development of the PSA and researching the information needed to create a plan to successfully survive a zombie apocalypse. This research and development takes place probably in the simplest form of technology – development on paper, MS Word, google, etc. To “enhance” – modification and redefinition - the lesson you essentially introduce technology tools that will transform that work on paper into a live model/PSA of that lesson. What type of feedback did you receive from your students in regards to the lesson and its effectiveness?

    Like the Triple E Framework (my choice), I do think that SAMR allows the instructor to develop learning goals and support these or enhance a lesson with the use of technology. The difficult task as you mentioned early on is pinpointing the RIGHT tool to use that will help everyone succeed. I think as instructors you value those opportunities where you receive immediate feedback on the level of understanding your students achieved as a result of the overall lesson and the use of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved learning more about the SAMR model through someone else's lens. I feel like you hit the nail on the head when you stated that most teachers do want to integrate technology, but many are unsure how to do it. I also selected the SAMR model because of how it was broken down. I was able to place myself in a category and also see how I can move up on the ladder.

    Your lesson sounds amazing! I would love to be in your class! I love how you not only built in the Redefinition portion but you also chose a topic that most teens are interested in! You are also teaching them skills that they can use once they exit out into the real world! Well done!

    You ended it with a statement that all teachers can use as a "take away," which was to use any of these models to build rigor of technology utilization. I think that is the most important part. I hope using the SAMR model helped you see that you are doing just that! Keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of a project I had to do in high school where we created a commercial for a book we read. My book was "A Separate Peace" and I did it in the style of the commercials for The Enquirer newspaper (this was 1989 I believe). I obviously enjoyed that assignment and it would have been so cool to make them as actual commercials, rather than the students acting them out solo. Your class assignment (which sounds so awesome) definitely takes a similar style assignment to that next level as outlined in SAMR.

    I like that poster of the Apps as they relate to the SAMR method too, it caught my eye when researching this weeks assignment. It is great to have a list of 'vetted' apps/technology tools. I agree that these frameworks shouldn't be utilized for teacher evaluation, but like your idea of team use when looking at scope and sequence.

    I hope your students will still fondly remember this assignment in 30 (!) years.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment